The Wellstone Democratic Renewal Club is pleased to announce we are co-sponsoring the “Radical Empathy Forum” for the Assembly District 15 candidates, hosted by Empathy Tent and Bridge USA at Berkeley, on Saturday, April 7th, from 3 pm to 6 pm. See their Facebook event page for more details.
The Sanders Institute has an economic study out on what the macroneconomic effects of full student debt cancellation would be. From the executive summary:
More than 44 million Americans are caught in a student debt trap. Collectively, they owe nearly $1.4 trillion on outstanding student loan debt. Research shows that this level of debt hurts the US economy in a variety of ways, holding back everything from small business formation to new home buying, and even marriage and reproduction. It is a problem that policymakers have attempted to mitigate with programs that offer refinancing or partial debt cancellation. But what if something far more ambitious were tried? What if the population were freed from making any future payments on the current stock of outstanding student loan debt? Could it be done, and if so, how? What would it mean for the US economy?
Read the entire study here: http://wellstoneclub.org/download/sanders-institute-study-on-student-debt-cancellation/?wpdmdl=1590
The Wellstone Democratic Renewal Club voted No Endorsement in the June primary election for the 15th AD at our meeting last Thursday, January 25. The Club uses RCV (Ranked Choice Voting) in which there are multiple rounds where the second and third choices listed on the ballot are redistributed. The leading candidate requires 60% of the redistributed votes to receive an endorsement.
The final result of the vote is:
Jovanka Beckles 38
Dan Kalb 38
No Endorsement 34
The Wellstone Club is much more than a Democratic Club that does endorsements. We are an activist club that engages many issues and does so largely through our Committees and we invite you to contact any the chair of any committee for which you’d like to be involved. Our club is only as good as the energy our members put into it so we encourage all of you to be involved in our committees as much as your schedule allows. Our current issue based committees are:
1. California Sanctuary Campaign – works to protect undocumented immigrants from deportation and from incarceration. Contact: Judith Stacey
2. Peace Committee – The reactivated WDRC Peace Committee, together with the Peace Caucus of East Bay DSA, is asking that political candidates and current office holders sign a “Peace Legislators Pledge”. Contact: Raymond Barglow
3. Voting Rights Task Force – addresses issues of election integrity and voter suppression. Contact: Richard Tamm
4. Education Committee – K-12 education issues, including Charter Schools. Download the article: Charter Schools Are Reshaping America for the Worse. Contact: David Weintraub
5. BBBON Block by Block Organizing Committee – Oakland issues including police, housing, and elections. Contact: Sharon Rose or Floyd Huen
6. East Bay Citizens for Action – Working on fixing Prop 13’s commercial property tax loophole and other progressive actions. We meet about monthly, on Sunday or Wednesday evenings at members’ homes. The next meeting is Sunday, February 18, 6:00 potluck, 6:45 meeting begins. Join us! Contact: Zippie Collins