The Democratic Party has always been a diverse family! It has been likened to a big tent, combining many interests, beliefs, and identifications.
Born during the era of slavery in the United States, the Democratic Party has a checkered history of which we are well aware. We recognize also that, beginning in the 20th century, many significant reforms have been enacted through the agency of the Democratic Party, including
- Women’s suffrage and women’s rights
- Head Start and quality public education
- Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid
- Civil Rights and Voting Rights Acts
- New Deal, Great Society, Job Corps, Peace Corps and Vista
- Promotion and defense of labor unions
- Protection of national parks, wilderness areas, and wildlife refuges
- Funding for science and medical research
Drawing upon this progressive legacy, we can work together to change the world.