The Ad-Hoc Committee appointed by the Board of Supervisors has provided powerful recommendations to the Board of Supervisors geared toward community-based emergency preparedness, de-escalation, and demilitarized disaster response. The recommendations include:
· Eliminating SWAT teams and competition from emergency preparedness exercises
· Eliminating the weapons expo that puts private interests and weapons manufacturers above the goals of whole community preparedness
· Ensuring that the majority of people responsible for implementing exercises are from the key disciplines of Fire and Emergency Managers, as well as community organizations serving vulnerable populations, rather than most being law enforcement
· Changing the name “Urban Shield” for exercises
· Dedicating $5 million of funding for the Health Care Services Agency and Social Services Agency to carry out emergency preparedness training and exercises
Let’s be ready to defend our tremendous victory this year, and build the demilitarized, community-centered alternative to Urban Shield!
Call Your Supervisor!
Please make your call before February 26th.
How to Contact:
District 1: Supervisor Haggerty – (510) 272-6691, ask for Josh Thurman
District 2: Supervisor Valle – (510) 272-6692, ask for Chris Miley
District 3: Supervisor Chan – (510) 272-6693, ask for Dave Brown
District 4: Supervisor Miley – (510) 670-3691, ask for Erin Armstrong
District 5: Supervisor Carson – (510) 272-6695, ask for Shahida Lacy