Here are some ideas and resources presented at our 5/28 meeting (complete summary to follow):
Letter supporting affordable housing bills (AB 35, 90, 1335, and 1056): Download this Word/.RTF document addressed to Assembly Speaker Toni Atkins, personalize it, sign it, and send it.
Our panelists were:
- Chris Jackson, ACCE (Alliance of Californians for Community Empowerment), Oakland.
- Sasha Hauswald, Senior Program Officer for Inclusionary Housing Policy, Cornerstone, Oakland.
- Dr. Larry Rosenthal, Goldman School of Public Policy; former Executive Director, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy; President, Board of Directors, Berkeley Food and Housing Project.
- Dan Kalb (invited), Oakland City Councilmember.
(Cosponsored by: Oakland Block by Block Organizing Committee)
Over 25% of California renters are severely burdened by housing costs – defined as paying more than 50% of their income for housing. The mortgage meltdown has forced many from their homes and into the overheated rental market.
The panelists will discuss what can be done locally, and at the state level, to reduce displacement, increase local and state funding for affordable housing, and strengthen requirements for affordable housing in market-rate developments.
Also on the agenda:
- Vote on some proposed bylaw changes that were introduced at the last meeting – please download and review the draft changes in Word format here, or view or download it in PDF format here.
- First presentation on proposed changes to bylaws governing Club endorsements, as drafted by the Bylaws Committee. (We’ll further discuss these, then vote on them, at our June 25 general meeting.) Please download and review this separate draft in Word format here, or view or download it in PDF format here.
- For reference, you can find our complete existing bylaws here.
6:00 Potluck Dinner (please bring food/snacks/beverages to share)